“On earth, as it is in heaven”
1. Praise and Worship (5 mins)
Praise and Worship. Today we are considering the spiritual practice of contemplation. Take some time to contemplate this verse. Read through it several times, then pick a part of the verse and praise God using the words in the verse. If you have time move onto the other part of the verse.
Suggested song: How Great is our God by Chris Tomlin
2. Confession (5 mins)
Confess anything that comes to mind. This will enable you to pray without anything coming between you and God.
3. Praying Scripture (5 mins)
Take some time to read through the following scripture.
Psalm 8 1-4
1 Lord, our Lord,
how majestic is your name in all the earth!
You have set your glory
in the heavens.
2 Through the praise of children and infants
you have established a stronghold against your enemies,
to silence the foe and the avenger.
3 When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have set in place,
4 what is mankind that you are mindful of them,
human beings that you care for them?
Now just wait, and allow God to speak to you. Silence can be hard to start with, but regularly finding time to sit in silence before God, contemplating Him and His word, is an incredibly powerful way to meet with Him.
——— New to Prayer finishes here, everyone else keeps going ———-
4. Personal Intercession (5 mins)
As we come to the end of the week, reflect on how you have grown in prayer. Ask God what a next step could be for you. Committing to regular times of prayer, doing the prayer course, attending the church prayer meeting, or a prayer–focused small group?
5. Intercede for our church ministries (5 mins)
- Give thanks for young adults and students joining King’s and pray for more young adult and student leaders.
- For deep and real community among young adults and students despite not being able to meet physically.
- For God’s peace to protect the minds of young adults and students and for God’s closeness and help for those struggling.
- For Christian students to be a light to their peers and their faith to be upheld and strengthened.
Focus (over 50s ministry):
- God’s peace and protection over them.
- They would know the community of one another even though meeting in-person is not feasible right now.
- The leadership team would feel loved, refreshed, encouraged, and empowered.
6. Intercede for our local area (5 mins)
Pray that many in our town would be drawn to Jesus, that they would watch our online broadcasts and discover God’s beauty and His offer of salvation. Pray for the Police in our town: good health, integrity, and encouragement from the community.
——— Growing in Prayer finishes here, everyone else keeps going ———-
7. Waiting on the Lord (5 mins)
Take some time to still your thoughts and sit before the Lord in silence again. Did you have any words from God for our ministries or town? Write these down and let us know.
8. Intercede for the nations (5 mins)
Ask God which nation he would like you to focus on today. It could be your home nation or a nation that you have close links with, a place you have prayed for before or know people in. Pray that God would give the leaders of that nation wisdom to lead well, especially in this testing time. Pray for the church of that nation to flourish and to embody Jesus in that culture. Pray that many would seek God and that they would come to know Him there. Listen to what God has to say about that nation and pray about it.
9. Thanksgiving (5 mins)
Thank God for all the natural beauty that you are able to enjoy in our area. Thank him that we get to appreciate him in nature and also through spending time in prayer with Him. Thank Him for the things you have learnt about prayer this week.
10. Listening (5 mins)
Ask God what he would like to speak to you about prayer and spending time with Him. Then sit and wait and listen.
11. Praise (5 mins)
Remember to finish with praise. Praise him for the time you have had with Him this week. Praise Him for the ways you have encountered Him and the things you have learnt about Him.
12. Reflection (5 mins)
Finish by writing down anything that God has spoken to you. Reflect on what he has said and ask if there is anything that you need to do in response. Let us know how you have found this week and if we can help you with any next steps.